Cardy House was built by Mr Jack Gillies an entrepreneur who was born in the village and returned to Lower Largo after making his fortune abroad. A statue holding the globe on his shoulders is located above the door to commemorate his travels. Plus the house, he also built a Net Making Factory (which is now a holiday home) to provide work for the people of the Largo community.
The Gillies family were direct descendants of Alexander Selkirk and in the mid 1850's the single storey thatched fishermans cottages (where Alexander Selkirk was born No101 Main Street) were replaced by the present terrace row of houses built for the Net Factory employees. 111 & 113 "Silverlea" were the managers houses, they had drying rooms in the roof (now bedrooms with great views of Largo Bay). It was at that time the 'Robinson Crusoe' statue was placed in the wall by Jacks son David Gillies to commemorate the exploits of his now infamous relative. The last owner and occupant of 'Silverlea' No 113 was a Mr & Mrs Gillies - Mr Gillies was the Net factory Manager.